LOADING

TEFL recruitment

Intro

Kid Castle Recruitment is a teaching recruitment team contracted to the Kid Castle Educational Institute, a language institution with English centers all over Taiwan and China.
I was contracted to develop a product whereby potential teachers could find out information on the recruitment process and apply to teach in China. Initially the company would be recruiting South Africans but the product would need to be scalable for global recruitment. My main UX efforts were to create and refine a smooth and intuitive application process.

Role & Tasks

Role

Working in a freelance capacity, I was responsible for the entire product development lifecycle. I lead the project management, UX & UI design and development.
Although not ideal, I got to manage tradeoffs and empathize through the eyes of various stakeholders in the product lifecycle.

Tasks

  • User interviews
  • Persona creation
  • Wireframes
  • Mockups
  • High-fi prototypes
  • Usability testing
  • Project management
  • Development
  • Brief

    The problem

    Design an efficient and centralized application process for users to apply for teaching jobs in China while minimizing undesirable applications.

    Illustration of Mr Shibumi

    Strategy

    In order to fully understand the scope of the project and business objectives, I conducted an interview with the founder to extract requirements and prioritize objectives.

    The business was already operating through various job board channels however the founder wanted to centralize applications. He was also struggling with large amounts of ineligible applicants, even though there were prerequisites.

    From here we prioritized business requirements and documented the required data for applications and their minimum eligible requirements.

    Discovery

    Due to budgetary constraints and the size of the user market, I was only able to put my research efforts into the South African market.

    I started by collating all the quantitative data the business already had from previous applications and then moved on to user interviews to collect some qualitative data. My main objective from the user interviews was to gauge their technical ability, behavior and motivations for wanting to teach overseas.

    Analysis

    From my research, I identified three South African personas that were diverse in age, technical abilities and motivation for teaching overseas.

    I tried to broadly base my design decisions on these because as the company scaled, they would bring on more recruiters and target an international audience however this wasn’t in the project scope.

    Design

    After sketching out some rough flows I decided that the best approach would be a multi-step application form in order to minimize the cognitive load and potential errors.

    The development of the form was being done with a form builder which allowed me to quickly produce live, low fidelity prototypes to iterate upon and test.

    After multiple rounds of testing, a viable solution was found which I then translated into a high-fidelity mockup that integrated Kid Castle’s CI.

    Test

    Through the various stages of moderated and unmoderated testing, the following points were identified and incorporated into the design.

    Users would often begin the application without reading the important fine print, this led to the creation of a start page that explained all the details before the user even began. This made it easier to ensure the user knew they needed all their documents readily available for the application.

    A small percentage of users would exit the page before the form completion confirmation was received. This was either due to slow internet speeds or large file sizes being uploaded. In order to curb this, a notice was added to the bottom of the form to warn users.

    Users that were not eligible would still try to complete the application even though prerequisites were clearly stated. To minimize this, errors were added using conditional logic when users selected options that did not meet the requirements.

    The outcome

    After launch, the form had an 86% completion rate and ineligible user applications dropped by 20%, from 25%. All application data now sat in a single, readily accessible database that could be exported to Kid Castle Educational Institute for employment consideration.

    Personally, I took a deep dive into the realm of form design patterns and best practices and I learned an immense amount from the perspective of visual and interaction design in forms.